When sizing and pricing for AWS, the following views in Movere provide recommendations for AWS migration:
- Summary/Cloud Readiness/AWS/EC2 VM Pricing (Elastic Cloud Compute virtual machine)
- Summary/Cloud Readiness/AWS/EC2 DH Pricing (Elastic Cloud Compute dedicated host)
The EC2 VM Pricing report will be contain data for all ARC-scanned devices, but to see information in the EC2 DH Pricing view, a device must be marked for "Dedicated Host" on the IO\Device Tagging view:
To get there…
- Select IO/Device Tagging
- You may then need to:
- Click on Show/Hide
- Select Dedicated Host
- Scroll to the right
- Now double click in the Dedicated Host cell for the corresponding device and the check box appears, and check the box to mark the machine for Dedicated Hosting:
NOTE: remember to click the Refresh icon in the top-right corner before navigating away from the IO\Device Tagging view.
Once a machine is marked for Dedicated Host, it will appear in the cloud recommendations for DH.
To bulk-tag for Dedicated hosting:
- In the IO\Device Tagging view, click on the magnifying glass at the top right of the screen and then type "arc sized = true". (Because you only want to assign items to a DH if they have been properly sized!)
- You can then click the down pointing arrow which has appeared beside the magnifying glass:
- Select "Cloud" and "Dedicated Host"
- Et voila - you have successfully tagged all of the Arc Sized items with the Dedicated Host tag.
Just a quick note on process. If you are doing pricing comparisons, make sure you capture all the VM pricing you need for an environment before you identify Dedicated Hosts. An item will not appear in both the VM and DH pricing and so you are manually toggling them between the views. Assigning and re-assigning can be a lot of clicks!