The first step to assigning an override is identify the relevant device(s). This is done via the ‘Search’ bar at the top of the ‘IO\Device Tagging’ page:
Users can search on 23 dimensions including:
Searches can be text, numeric or Boolean based using the following operators:
NOTE: Search criteria can also be combined using ‘AND’ or ‘OR’ operators. For example:
IMPORTANT: A tag can only be applied after one or more search criteria have been entered. This reveals the link to the Bulk Update window. The link will appear in the top right of the screen:
From the Device Tagging page, a user can create as many Device Tags as required to group the devices in their environment. Just like Organizational Units in Active Directory, a device can only belong to only one tag at a time, but tag names can be configured to achieve a desired level of granularity. For example:
- Movere | Seattle | Production | Internal
- Movere | New York | Production | Self Hosting
- Movere | London | Development
Using groupings like these a user could filter on *UL*, *Development*, *Production* or a combination (*Seattle* | *Production*). The device and license counts will be based upon the filtered criteria. To create a Tag, click on the ‘Tags’ option at the top of the Device Tagging page:
In the text box that appears the user can name the Device Tag. Clicking on the ‘+’ symbol next to it will make it available for assignment:
To delete a Tag, click on the ‘x ‘symbol. Deleting a Tag will also remove it from any device(s) it has been assigned to:
Movere can optimally size an environment for the cloud based on actual resource needs. However, when performing a Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) assessment we need to factor in capabilities that impact cost other than sizing. One such capability is scheduled virtual machine startup and shutdown. Using Environments we can adjust the number of hours each machine is powered on each month.
Similar to Tagging, a user can create as many Environments as needed to reduce the number of compute hours per month for devices not required to be on 24/7. To create an Environment, click the ‘Environments’ option at the top of the Device Tagging page:
The text box that appears is slightly different from the one used to create Tags and exclusion reasons. In addition to giving each Environment a name, the user must also specify the number of hours per day (in 4 hour increments) and the number of days per week each device assigned to that Environment will be powered on. Below is an example of an Environment titled ‘Development’ which will only be powered on for 8 hours per day, 5 days per week. Clicking on the ‘+’ symbol at the bottom will make it available for assignment:
NOTE: The ‘(8/5)’ associated with the "Testing" Environment is the number of hours per day / days per week set for that Environment. While this setting can be edited, if a change is required then we recommend creating a new Environment with the desired number of hours and days then using the search bar to identify the devices assigned to the Environment to be changed. Using the Bulk Update menu, select the new Environment then delete the old one, if it is no longer required.
Key things to bear in mind when using Tags:
- If you assign a device to a custom Tag or country, then we recommend assigning all devices to a custom Tag or country. Movere can filter on specific Tags and/or countries, but if you want to exclude those Tags and/or countries from your total device or license counts, then you will need to select everything outside of those Tags or countries. If all remaining devices have not been placed in alternative Tag or country, then Movere will have no alternative to filter on.
- If you make a mistake, there’s no need for concern. Users can change any existing assignments at any time. However, just like uploading data to Movere which requires a ‘Write’ claim be granted through the Movere Multi User Interface, creating, deleting and assigning Tags requires an ‘Edit’ claim (refer Movere MUI Guide).
- Once a Tag, Country or Environment has been assigned to one or more devices, the user will need to click on the refresh button located at the top of the Device Tagging page to apply the assignments to the visualizations:
NOTE: The visualizations can take up to 30 seconds to update with the latest tagging depending on the size of the environment and number of assignments entered.
- If you want to filter on devices that have not been assigned to a Tag, country or Environment, then using the search bar enter one (or more) of the following terms:
- tag = null
- country = null
- environment = null
- tag = null and country = null and environment = null
- As mentioned in the Environment section above, if a user wants to change a Tag name, Environment name or operating hours, for all devices in a specific group, then we recommend creating the new Tag or Environment first, using the search bar to identify all devices in Tag or Environment to be changed, then using the Bulk Update menu to assign the devices to the new Tag / Environment first, then deleting the former Tag / Environment if it is no longer needed. Deleting the Tag / Environment first will delete all prior tagging activities and result in the user having to manually track down and re-add each device to the new Tag / Environment.
- The assignments the user submits are sent to the cloud as they are entered. There is no ‘Save’ button to click to avoid losing your work. The ‘Refresh’ button referred to above simply instructs Movere to apply the latest assignments to all visualizations.
Tag, Country and Environment assignments present users with a huge number of possibilities. Merger and acquisition activity, device and license counts by country, cost center, department, affiliate, identifying consolidation or decommissioning opportunities then confirming they have been completed, or performing a TCO assessment to understand the cost to move part or all of an environment to the cloud. Once each device has been placed into a Tag or Environment, or assigned to a country, the user will be able to apply that setting to each visualization on the Movere portal.